Every September and March I realize with excitement that general conference is coming up. General Conference is right up there with Christmas for me. When I lived in Provo, UT it was fun to watch the entire city shut down during conference. Saturday evening, priesthood session would fill restaurants and shops with women and once that session ended, men in suits with their teenage sons. The mood was festive.
Now that I live somewhere most people are not members of the LDS church, I still feel festive. Here are the top ten reasons I love General Conference.
10) Cinnamon Rolls: This is the only time of year that I make cinnamon rolls. Yum
9) Rotating 72 Hour Kits: Each conference we get out our ’emergency kits’ (as my kids call them) and rotate the expired things. We also attempt to bolster the kit each conference. In April I made us an awesome first aid kit. I love not having guilt about this for the rest of the year. I know that I worry about it at conference and I let it go the rest of the time.
8) Finding fun things to take to the girls I visit teach: this year I am going to print these flipbooks for them.
7) My kids’ learning the apostles: We love this song. They are soooo excited when someone gets up to speak and they recognize him. My husband and I also enjoy Fantasy General Conference, I am not sure if there have been any changes since this one.
6) No church meetings: it’s refreshing. My husband and I are both home the whole weekend, snuggling on the couch no less. He even gives pedicures to me and my girls. Don’t tell anyone, he might be embarrassed. 😉
5) The candy game: Each year my kids each pick a word. Every time that word is said in conference, everyone gets a piece of candy. It’s lovely. My kids listen, I get candy. win. win.
4)Notebooks for my kids: Each of my kids have a binder and I add a new printable notebook each conference. There are a bajillion on the internet for free. lds.org has one. My girls also collage from Friend and Ensign magazines during conference. This October I am going to try Conference Jenga also.
3)checking up on the Apostles: I know I’m not the only one! One of my most treasured memories is being in the conference center when Elder Haight waved to everyone near the end of his life. I love these men, and I have a certain concern for their well-being.
2) Mormon Tabernacle Choir: there’s nothing like being in the room with the choir, but they are still pretty amazing streaming. Some people skip the music bits. Not me. I love it. I also love it when everyone sings those rousing hymns together like ‘High On the Mountaintop’ or ‘How Firm a Foundation’
1) The Spirit: I always come away from conference inspired, uplifted and motivated to be better and do better.
You can watch General Conference here on October 4th and 5th. Please do. It is worth the time you invest.